Nothing is more inspiring than seeing young budding artist display their creations for the world to see. I feel what these artists feel on a small scale every time I publish a blog post- vulnerability, nervousness, wanting approval. The Art Institute of New York City selected 13 designers to display their creations on the runway and it was electric.
Garments seen at The Art Institute show were inspired by medieval soldiers, contortionism, the Banpo Bridge in South Korea and the opulence of ancient Egypt. Designers came from places far and near- from Cameroon and Iran to Michigan and New Jersey.
With a total of 72 looks hitting The Art Institutes’ runway there was plenty to take in. While the menswear was absolutely outstanding and gender bending the womenswear was less than desirable, besides a few honorable mentions. Androgyny was a theme throughout the show which I welcomed openly and designers Michael Tornato, Lavan Chxeidze and Tory van Thompson did very well. Androgynous model, Rain Dove wowed spectators as she graced the runway in both men and womenswear. My favorite womenswear pieces from the show were by designer Joshuan Aponte, who used iridescent embossed patent leather. Overall, a great show.
While re-watching the show I made notes of my favorite looks. Follow along and feel free to let me know your favorite looks in the comments.
3. Silver lame pantsuit
5. Metallic deep-v peplum top with hot shorts
8. Black & white striped t-shirt over white French terry top with gray wrap skirt & black leggings
17. Petrol gauze hooded gown with stone satin pant/short
21. Aqua and off-white trinity dress
23. Satin and faille triangle wrap dress
28. Blue crochet duster
31. Navy mesh shirt, satin shorts with side kilt
34. Shredded tank with long linen striped shirt over polka dot boxers with side kilt
35. Crinkle gray long sleeved t-shirt over plaid kilt
36. Textured chiffon navy gown
38. Asymmetrical orange tufted top with print pant
39. Printed blazer with drop crotch trousers
41. Engineered-print tailed vest with black tuxedo trouser
42. Black printed bow neck crop top with high-slit full-length skirt
49. Turquoise jersey coral charmeuse taupe canvas iridescent embossed patent leather crop top with taupe charmeuse deep pleat full trouser
50. Pale salmon and turquoise jersey hip-pocket dress
52. Taupe canvas coral piped bandeau with taupe canvas pale salmon jersey coral charmeuse and indigo crepe zip front jacket over indigo crepe pleat crop pant
54. Iridescent embossed patent leather bodice with indigo pleated skirt evening gown
60. Black lambskin studded tank dress with charcoal jersey and tulle skirt
67. White poplin three-quarter sleeve shirt with navy flannel pleated high-waited short
68. Black double knit jersey t-shirt with black wool canvas crop pant with gray pleated overlay
70. White double knit t-shirt with black high-tech car coat and black poplin pleated black trouser
71. Navy double knit t-shirt with charcoal and navy neoprene vest with navy flannel high waist crop trouser and gray pleated overlay
72. Black rubberized poncho with black trouser skirt